Veterans Affairs Community Referral & Resource Center
Historic Preservation & Real Estate Development Project in Milwaukee
In support of the Veterans Affairs’ Jobless Initiative, commercial real estate developer, Wangard Partners was selected to preserve and adapt an existing 7,542 SF historic space at 1818 N Doctor M.L.K. Jr Dr in Milwaukee, WI to meet the current and future needs of Veterans in the area. The existing cream-city brick building was built in 1925 giving way to a historic site that was in need of revitalization within the King Drive BID #8 and within the Bronzeville District, which is adjacent to the northwest side of downtown Milwaukee. This area has extreme significance for not only Milwaukee, but for the entire world due to the famed civil rights leader. In addition to this real estate development project, the area has seen significant redevelopment over the last 15 years totaling over $200 million.
The .52-acre property features 25 surface parking spaces and room for a community garden. In keeping with our sustainable, green building objectives, the project team received LEED Silver certification for this development. The project involved the renovation and adaptive re-use of the historic building, which was originally a cartage company for horse-drawn carriage delivery services. As a historic building, the project was eligible for tax credits from the State of Wisconsin and from the federal government through the National Park Service.
The exposed brick walls and open steel truss structure were retained as elements in the design of the new space. Three major skylights along the center of the roof line were also retained in the new design.
- SIZE: 7,542 SF
- COMPLETED: 2014
FOR PROPERTY & LEASING INFORMATION
If you are interested in learning more about this real estate development project or any commercial real estate space we may have available for lease in the Milwaukee area, contact us today.